Nov 5, 2007

Regarding the writers strike...


At Antebellum Gallery's opening for Dia de los Muertos ¡Erotica¡ on Friday, I had an interesting chat with a friend who has been writing sitcoms for the past fifteen years. He was bemoaning the bad faith on the part of the producers, of course, and their insistence that making shows viewable on the internet constituted "promotion" and therefore should not pay any royalties to writers, even though money is being made from advertising inserted into that format.

I was hoping to move him onto a happier topic, or at least some of the free mezcal that was flowing in the garden behind the gallery, so when he mentioned working on the show Two of a Kind with the Olsen twins when they were in their early teens I asked him about working with them.

He said, "You know, one of them was really nice and she was actually very funny."

"Which one?" I asked.

He paused, and then said, "I don't remember."